Day 1: Sunday, February 28, 2010
Nate usually says that I am an easy person to travel with however after this trip I think he may have changed his mind. I entered "Airport Mode" the moment I hit security. However for me the anxiety had probably been building up since I had to cram all my stuff into a carry on size bag and get my small liquids all assembled cause, lets be honest, who wants to waste money paying $50 to check their bag??? Well the moment to walk through security arrives, remove your belt, your shoes, your little bag of liquids, your computer, oh wait you have a nook? those need to me removed to, and don't forget your coat. Proceeding through security with, lets see now, 5 gray buckets, and one roller suit case and trying now to get through this without slowing the line down. I feel so bad when I feel like I am holding up people so I try to get through security in record time, on Sunday this meant that I began ramming Nate's four gray bins and suitcase that were in front of me before he was all done loading them. Oh man, did I get the look and deemed to posses the "airport mode" quality. I was in the zone and their was no slowing me down.
The flights were both uneventful and we arrived in Raleigh. We proceeded to Enterprise to pick up our rental car, unfortunately we were given the keys to little silver Chevy Cobalt. We affectionately named her Candice and thanks to her our cars left at home in Missouri gained some job security.
*Side Note: While on our trip Chevy recalled the Cobalts for having poor steering and a loss of power steering at low speeds. I can attest that this is a definitely a problem.
We then checked into our hotel, Residence Inn by Marriott. It was spacious room and in a great location for visiting all the sites Raleigh.
Day 2: Monday, March 1, 2010
This was the first day of the conference that Nate was to attend. To be honest Nate spent most of the trip in meetings, but I did not let that slow me down. On Monday I drove to Kitty Hawk. I saw the Atlantic Ocean and the National Park and Monument commemorating the accomplishments of Orville and Wilbur Wright. I learned a lot about the birth of motorized flight.
So Kitty Hawk was 206 miles from our hotel but it flew by quickly because the landscape was beautiful and their were some pretty awesome road signs warning of bear and red wolf crossings. Oh there were also signs warning that you were not to feed bears or wolves on the side of the road. They made me laugh, what idiot would attempt to feed a wild bear or wolf?? Someone obviously did because they have signs now. Here are a few pictures I took on my journey and the only picture I was capable of taking of myself.
There were some great bridges to cross to get out to Kitty Hawk but since I was driving I didn't really get any good ones.
This was also the day Nate got out of the conference early, 6:30. So we went to dinner at Cheesecake Factory and did some shopping for some new jeans and shirts for Nate.
Day 3: Tuesday, March 2, 2010
I spent Tuesday shopping and wandering around the sites of Raleigh. I visited the largest Harley Davidson Dealership and the Harley Davidson Drag Racing Museum. I also went to this shopping place called the North Hills. It is an outdoor shopping complex with unique one of a kind boutiques that I loved exploring. I unfortunately didn't get anything but I tried lots of fun stuff on and enjoyed trying new things. I then went and saw the movie Dear John. I was pretty disappointed. The book was way better and the acting in the movie was horrible. I did however, enjoy having the entire theater to myself.
Day 4: Wednesday, March 3, 2010
So I went shopping and to a movie again. This time I actually got a few things at a great price so I didn't feel to guilty, which I do sometimes after I shop, don't ask me why that is but it isn'tnecessary either....oh well, someday I hope to get over it. This day I saw Valentines Day the Movie, now my Missouri friends don't worry because I am still in for when we ever get together and go see it. It was a cute movie and pretty funny, it brought up so great things about expectations, experiences, and feelings about the great Hallmark Holiday of Valentines Day. I once again had the theater to myself. I would laugh really hard at a funny comment in the movie, it would echo around the empty theater, and that would again make me start laughing again. Oh am I silly......
I was hoping to go to the Art Museum and see the Monet's and other great works the Raleigh North Carolina Museum of Art has in their collections but it was closed. Apparently they are relocating to new facility. Bummer....I know.
Day 5: Thursday, March 4, 2010
Since Nate had to leave for the conference around 7:15 in the morning I was responsible for the packing of all bags and checking out of the hotel. How is it that you always leave a trip with more stuff then you came with??? And how come things never fit back into your suitcase in the same order and fashion it did when you left on your journey?? All great unanswered questions of travel.
After checking out I headed to the Raleigh North Carolina Temple. I was hoping to do a session but it was closed for Spring Cleaning. I still got some awesome pictures though.
The flights home were uneventful but I once again got a little stressed going through security and told Nate that I would never travel again with any bags. I would wear sweatpants with flip flops. No belts, no jewelry, no bags, no liquids, just me and my wallet, and maybe my nook but that might be pushing it. This also means I would be stuck in those sweats pants the entire vacation......ok, that would never happen but I was so serious after getting through security. I must say that I do appreciate what they are trying to do to stop terrorism because I will never forget the terror and feelings I had after 9-11 but some days I wonder if we will eventually have to fly in the nude or our underwear having to check everything but our identification and ticket.
Well, we are home safe, sound, and happy to be back living our lives in Missouri. I better run and go to the gym, shopping, do the laundry, unpack the suitcases, and do a little job hunting.

jasmine! i'm a creeper and i'm all linked up to your blog now. :) your trip sounds like it was way fun! my husband would be super jealous, he served his mish in raleigh and he hasn't been back since. i'll have to show him these pictures so he knows it's doing okay without him...
ReplyDeleteyay blogs!!